Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Lion King 3D


In 1994, when I was about 3, I saw my very first movie in the theatre. That movie? Why it's Disney's The Lion King of course. It was one of the movies released during the Disney Renaissance of the 1990s. It's by far one of the best animated movies Disney has ever made, and it still stands as the highest grossing hand-drawn animated film ever released. Seeing it in 3D was actually very spectacular, one of the best 3D conversions I've ever seen for a film that was originally in 2D. There are some scenes that look amazing in 3D, two of them being the "Circle of Life" opening sequence, and the final battle between Simba and his evil uncle Scar. The best thing about the special 3D screening of the movie when I saw it was the theatre was absolutely PACKED with older fans of the movie when it first came out, and a newer generation of kids wanting to catch a glimpse of what '90s kids like myself got to see when we were little munchkins.

Disney did a fantastic job with converting one of the best movies they ever made in RealD 3D, it was the most spectacular 3D conversion I've ever seen. Here's hoping that they re-release their older movies in theatres more often (again) like they did this year.


Final Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment